Aquatic veterinary related internet sites and links
On this page are links to other aquatic veterinary organizations and resources!
Non-Veterinary Associations Involved with Aquatic Animal Health
- American Fisheries Society
The mission of the American Fisheries Society is to improve the conservation and sustainability of fishery resources and aquatic ecosystems by advancing fisheries and aquatic science and promoting the development of fisheries professionals.
- European Association of Fish Pathologists (EAFP)
The objectives of the Association are to promote exchange of knowledge and co-ordination of research related to fish and shellfish pathology.
- Fish Health Section of the American Fisheries Society
The Fish Health Section (FHS) is one of the largest and most international sections of the American Fisheries Society. The FHS was formed in 1972 to give fish biologists, diagnosticians, researchers, aquaculturists, veterinarians, administrators, and others involved in fish health, an organization for communication and interaction.
- Fish Health Section of the Asian Fisheries Society
The Section's goal is to improve regional knowledge on fish health management and to develop awareness among Asian aquaculturists towards establishing a sustainable aquaculture industry.
- International Association for Aquatic Animal Medicine (IAAAM)
The International Association for Aquatic Animal Medicine (IAAAM) is an organization of individuals who are professionally interested in and devote a significant amount of time to the practice of aquatic animal medicine, teaching and research in aquatic animal medicine, or the husbandry and management of aquatic animals.
- Network of Aquaculture Centres in Asia-Pacific
NACA is an intergovernmental organisation that promotes rural development through sustainable aquaculture.
Aquatic Veterinary Associations
- American Association of Zoo Veterinarians
To advance programs for preventive medicine, husbandry, and scientific research in the field of veterinary medicine dealing with captive and free-ranging wild animals.
- Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians (USA)
- Australian & New Zealand College of Veterinary Sciences, Aquatic Animal Health Chapter
The Aquatic Animal Health Chapter has been established to promote excellence in the diagnosis, treatment and prevent of diseases of aquatic animals with particular emphasis on those species which are kept for aquaculture or otherwise commercially exploited.
- British Veterinary Zoological Society
The aims of the society are to promote the advancement of veterinary knowledge and skill in the maintenance of the health and welfare of non-domesticated animals and to encourage proper housing and conditions for such animals; to encourage full use of veterinary services by wild animal establishments and by the owners of exotic animals; to promote the international exchange of veterinary knowledge of non-domesticated animals.
- Eastern Aquaculture Veterinary Association (USA/Canada)
- Fish Veterinary Society
The Society is a forum for Veterinary Surgeons with an interest in fish as well as Fish Health Professionals and veterinary students. It also promotes fish welfare and an increasing stake in the health management of fish whether farmed, in public aquaria or in the ornamental sector including fish kept as pets.
- World Aquatic Veterinary Medical Association*
Biosecurity Resources & Information
- Aquatic Animal Diseases Significant to Australia: Identification Field Guide 4th Edition
Latest edition of this useful field guide to aquatic diseases and relevant to other continents
- Animal Health Australia
Animal Health Australia is an innovative partnership involving the Australian Government, state and territory governments, major livestock industries and other stakeholders. We work with our members and stakeholders to strengthen Australia’s national animal health system and maximise confidence in the safety and quality of Australia’s livestock products in domestic and overseas markets.
- CFSPH Aquatic Animal Resources
The mission of the CFSPH is to increase national and international preparedness for accidental or intentional introduction of diseases that threaten food production or public health.
- FAO (Food & Agriculture Organisation)
- MAF Biosecurity New Zealand
- NACA Disease Cards
Downloadable information and searchable database of aquatic diseases mainly of pertinence to the Asia Pacific region.
- Network of Aquaculture Centres in Asia-Pacific
- OIE (World Organisation for Animal Health)
The OIE Aquatic Animal Health Code (the Aquatic Code) sets out standards for the improvement of aquatic animal health and welfare and veterinary public health worldwide, including through standards for safe international trade in aquatic animals (amphibians, crustaceans, fish and molluscs) and their products.
- OIE WAHID Interface
The WAHID Interface provides access to all data held within OIE's new World Animal Health Information System (WAHIS).
- CIHEAM International Centre For Advanced Mediterranean Agronomic Studies
CIHEAM is made up of four Mediterranean Agronomic Institutes (MAIs), located in Bari (Italy), Chania (Greece), Montpellier (France) and Zaragoza (Spain), and a General Secretariat based in Paris. In pursuing its three main complementary missions (post-graduate specialised education, networked research and facilitation of the regional debate), CHEAM has established itself as an authority in its fields of activity: Mediterranean agriculture, food and rural development.
- IFREMER (Institut francais de recherche pour l'exploitation de la mer)
Ifremer, through its research work and expert advice, contributes to knowledge of the oceans and their resources, to monitoring of marine and coastal environments and to the sustainable development of marine activities.
- Institute of Aquaculture University of Stirling
The Institute of Aquaculture is the leading international centre in its field and is the largest of its kind in the world. With an excellent RAE 2008 outcome, we bring together cross-disciplinary, world class researchers to meet the wide range of challenges faced as aquaculture grows to meet global demands.
- Institute of Marine Research (Norway)
With a staff of almost 700 the Institute of Marine Research is Norway's largest centre of marine science. Our main task is to provide advice to Norwegian authorities on aquaculture and the ecosystems of the Barents Sea, the Norwegian Sea, the North Sea and the Norwegian coastal zone. For this reason, about fifty percent of our activities are financed by the Ministry of Fisheries and Coastal Affairs.
- IRTA (Institut de Recerca i Technologia Agroaliment?ries)
RTA is a research institute owned by the Government of Catalonia. IRTA's purpose is to contribute to the modernization, competitiveness and sustainable development of agriculture, food and aquaculture sectors, the supply of healthy and quality foods for consumers and, generally, improving the welfare of the population.
- National University of Ireland Galway
- Norwegian Institute of Fisheries & Aquaculture Research (Fiskeriforskning)
Nofima was established on January 1, 2008, and is Europe’s largest institute for applied research within the fields of fisheries, aquaculture and food.
- University of Florida IFAS Extension
List of departmental resources and wide range of information related to aquaculture
- Vet Education and Information
A page maintained by the Commonwealth Veterinary Association with links to many resources with free veterinary education or information
General aquatic websites
AquacultureHub is a site for aquaculturists, teachers, students and everyday people interested in aquaculture.
Established in 1998, Aquafeed has grown and evolved steadily as the leading provider of sector-specific business, scientific and technical news and information - through our website, quarterly magazine, English and Spanish newsletters and the Aquafeed Horizons Conferences.
- Fish Base
Searchable global database containing information on 25585 species
- Fish Farmer
Fish Farmer has been serving the aquaculture industry for over 30 years and enjoys a worldwide distribution. Established at the beginning of commercial aquaculture, Fish Farmer is highly regarded by the industry and has documented its growth into a major source of seafood for the world’s consumers.
- Fish Farming International
Publishing and industry information website
The most important e-Service available for decision makers in food and fisheries policy and development. FishFiles is a monthly email information service on EU fisheries and food issues, based on the Official Journal of the European Communities and other sources of EU information.
- Fish Update
Aquaculture and fisheries information and newsletter
News and information website
- North Atlantic Salmon Conservation Organisation
The objective of NASCO is to conserve, restore, enhance and rationally manage Atlantic salmon through international cooperation taking account of the best available scientific information.
- One Fish (resource gateway for fisheries and aquatic research)
Currently unavailable but the website may be reinstated at a future date.
- Seafish - the authority on seafood
Seafish was founded in 1981 by an Act of Parliament and supports all sectors of the seafood industry for a sustainable, profitable future. It is the only pan-industry body offering services to all parts of the seafood industry, including catching and aquaculture, processors, importers, exporters and distributors of seafood and restaurants and retailers.
- Seafood Intelligence
News for global seafood businesses, consumers and agrifood decision makers
- The Fish Site
The leading online news and technical resource to the global aquaculture industry, receiving over 60,000 unique visitors per month. With a truly global readership the web site has become the definitive provider of free technical information to a rapidly growing worldwide audience. Updated daily, TheFishSite offers a superb platform for the industry professional and advertiser alike.
- Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (Northern Ireland)
- Australian Department of Agriculture Fisheries & Forestry
- Biosecurity New Zealand
- Canadian Department of Fisheries & Oceans
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Centre For Environment, Fisheries And Aquaculture Science (CEFAS)
- DEFRA UK
- DG SANCO (EU Directorate general for Health & Consumers)
- European Medicines Agency
- Food Standards Agency UK
- Marine Scotland Science (formerly Fisheries Research Services (FRS))
- New Zealand Ministry of Fisheries
- The Norwegian Food Safety Authority
- The Norwegian Ministry of Fisheries and Coastal Affairs
- US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Veterinary Medicines Directorate (UK)
- Phish Pharm
- AADAP (Aquatic Animal Drug Approval Partnership)
- Aquatic Life Sciences
- Bradan Ltd
- Merck Animal Health
- Novartis Animal Health
- Aquaculture Association of Southern Africa
- American Fisheries Society
- Asian Fisheries Society
- European Aquaculture Society
- World Aquaculture Society
- Association of Scottish Shellfish Growers
- FEAP (Federation of European Aquaculture Producers)
- International Air Transport Association
- National Aquaculture Association (USA)
- Ornamental Fish International (OFI)
- Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) (USA)
- Scottish Salmon Producers Organisation
- The Ornamental Aquatic Trade Association (OATA)
NOVICE is a professional network that enables its members to exchange knowledge and expertise throughout Europe and beyond. You must be a veterinarian, veterinary student, ICT educationalist or veterinary educationalist to become a member of the NOVICE network.
- World Small Animal Veterinary Association (WSAVA)
WAVMA is an Affiliate member of WSAVA
- World Veterinary Association (WVA)
WAVMA has provided the aquatics stream at the previous three World Veterinary Congresses. WAVMA has submitted an application to be an Associate member
Further suggestions? Use our Feedback form